Although I am a fertility expert at a top UK clinic, which shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons, I can confirm that I have witnessed some highly unscrupulous tactics used by certain fertility specialists and clinics.
I have spoken to many couples who had allegedly undergone fertility tests at some of these clinics and were told that they had 0% chance of conceiving naturally.
When these couples then came to me for a second opinion, I performed the same tests and from the results I would estimate that approximately 80% of these couples should have eventually been able to conceive naturally. These practices horrify me, since there are enough genuinely infertile couples out there who need help.
There is no reason why a healthy woman over the age of 40, who is having regular periods and who is otherwise in excellent health, should not be able to have a baby.
These women should be encouraged, not discouraged, especially since they will undoubtedly provide the strong foundations that a child needs in order to develop into a delightful young person.
There are too many children in the world who are unwanted and unloved - often born to young parents - so maybe all the people who are opposed to older parents should refocus their sights on those neglected children.
Brian MB ChB, PhD, FRCOG, UK
Stock Photo credit: LotusHead
All rights reserved
TODAY'S BOOK SUGGESTION:
The Garden of Fertility: A Guide to Charting Your Fertility Signals to Prevent or Achieve Pregnancy--Naturally--and to Gauge Your Reproductive Health
by Katie Singer
-- a guide to using fertility awareness - that is, reading fertility signals in order to prevent or achieve pregnancy.
Certified fertility educator Katie Singer explains how to observe and chart fertility cycles to determine when a woman is most fertile to increase chances of conception, or to exercise birth control naturally - a method that, when followed precisely, is as effective as the Pill.
Unlike other books on fertility awareness, The Garden of Fertility also describes how to use the charts to gauge gynecological health and offers non-medical options for strengthening reproductive wellness.
This book provides all the information women never learned in sex education class, but should have.
Click to read more
• Follow us on Twitter, join the conversation on our Facebook page, circle us on Google+, follow our pins on Pinterest.
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!